Thursday, January 7, 2016

The Donut

It's crazy how quickly my flesh tries to persuade me. This morning I had to be at work at 7am. I figured I would stop by Dunkin Donuts and grab a coffee to sip on while at work.

As I walked in, I felt the Spirit nudge me to buy a donut for the Night Staff worker who I would be relieving this morning. The job of Night Staff is to man the desk from 11pm-7am. I cannot imagine how tired I would feel at the end of that shift. My own shift from last night came to mind and how hungry I was after just 3 short hours at the desk. "Okay, let's do this" I thought, but a very different attitude came to mind when it was time to actually do it. "I only make 8 dollars an hour... it doesn't make sense for me to spend money buying other people donuts..." It was indeed a war between living in the spirit or living selfishly according to my flesh.

By the grace of God, it only took 45 minutes of being awake this morning to realize how badly I need Him.

So long story short, I bought the donut and gave it to Night Staff when I arrived at work. She had been telling me how she now had to go over to another building because they were short on workers... then she would be able to sleep for 2 hours before going to class. It was pretty apparent that she wasn't having the best morning. That got me thinking... When God has me in a season of joy or blessing, it is not just for me to feel comfortable. It is a rare circumstance in which I can joyfully serve others who are in a dry season of their own. Hmm, I've never thought of it like that before.

Lord, thank you for graciously reminding me to seek first the Kingdom of God this morning. I pray that you would continue to nudge me to serve others today and give me your spirit in order to walk in obedience. Thanks for a season of joy and help me use it to serve you better. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment