Friday, January 8, 2016

God is still teaching... so I am still writing

Jo Traditions

Jo is one of the custodial workers in Traditions hall. I briefly met him yesterday during my morning desk shift.

Jo walked up to the desk and asked me how school was going. He told me that he gets to work at 7 so he can find parking and then waits to start at 8. A short answer turned into an hour long conversation. As we began to get deeper into conversation, I felt myself having a hard time. Instead of seeing conversation with Jo as an opportunity, I started to see it as an inconvenience. As I prayed for eyes to see, the Lord gently reminded me that I was not entitled to quiet time at the desk. He reminded me that my job was an opportunity to know people.

Jo and I talked about the residence halls on campus and shared thoughts on working for housing. He told me that he has been working in Traditions since it opened four years ago. Suddenly, our conversation shifted.

“You believe in God, right?” Jo asked.

“Yep.”

Jo talked about how no matter where housing put him, he wanted to do his work well.
I asked him where he went to church. He told me that he goes to a small church called Woodville.
I told him about Grace and Peace in Austin and what a blessing it is to be able to connect to people, even if just for a short time, because of the Gospel.

Jo’s father passed away this past November. As Jo recounted the story to me with tears in his eyes, he also told me how God has used that suffering to bring him closer to God.

“Wow, that’s really difficult but isn’t it crazy? That we can still have hope in suffering and know that God loves us enough to bring us to himself in the suffering” I shared.

Jo and I sat in silence a moment as we acknowledged the wonderful mystery of the Gospel.

“So”, I asked Jo, “How did you know to ask me if I believed in God?”

“I could just tell,” He replied. “You just have this glow about you.”

Jo and I talked a little while longer about being confident in the Lord.  He told me how even though he missed his dad, he is able to be glad because he’s not in pain. “You know, I was having a similar thought the other day,” I mentioned. “This guy I’m dating visited for a few days and is now headed to study in New Zealand. It’s easy to worry because there is so much traveling…what if something terrible happens… but I’ve found myself being extremely at peace. Instead of worrying, I can know with confidence that even if something were to happen, I would rather him be at home with God than here with me.”

This response doesn’t make sense. What could give me the kind of confidence to make a bold statement like that? Only the victory of Jesus Christ gives us the capacity to rejoice in suffering and no longer fear death.


Lord, I am amazed by the mystery of the Gospel and how you love us. I pray for eyes to see today… that nobody would be an inconvenience and that you would lift my eyes. Remind me that this world is nowhere near as good as it gets! Thanks for an encouraging morning getting to know Jo and connect because of the cross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment