Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Knowing and Cherishing Him more

There's a cool quote I read today that says:
 "The proper rewards are not simply tacked onto the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." 

Our reward for reading our Bible isn't that we feel good about ourselves, or get what we want or get to check it off our to-do lists and go back to whatever we were doing before. Our reward is the activity itself! It's that we get to cherish Him more! Something that I wanted to share is that I hope no one left feeling guilty about needing to read the Bible more. Instead, I hope ya'll feel excited and encouraged that we get to know God and spend time with him!

“The schoolboy beginning Greek grammar cannot look forward to his adult enjoyment of Sophocles as a lover looks forward to marriage or a general to victory. He has to begin by working for marks, or to escape punishment, or to please his parents, or, at best, in the hope of a future good which he cannot at present imagine or desire.”


Again, our motivation for reading the Bible should not be to escape punishment or to please God. God doesn’t need us to spend time with him. God is completely self-sufficient and we aren’t. I don’t read the Bible to please God, I read it because I desperately need his truth to be re-written on my heart. Moment by moment, hour by hour, day by day.   


Our reward is that we get to know God! It’s not whatever secondary gifts or feelings we get from it. It’s not the gifts he gives. It is that we get to see more of the giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment