Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The other evening, Hunter and I were talking about the job situation. I had called Indiana School for the Blind on Monday but there weren’t any open positions. The woman I spoke with was nice, but the only advice she could give was to keep checking their job posting website and maybe something would open this Spring.

Spring. That feels way too unpredictable. If I really am moving to Indiana in the Summer, the idea of hoping for a job to open up just a few months before I move makes me uneasy. I want security. I want a guarantee. I want everything sorted out well in advance.

As I talked to Hunter, his comments were hopeful and filled with faith. He didn’t seem as worried as I did. Am I not trusting God enough with this? Should I be as peaceful as he is? Am I foolish for being afraid or is he foolish for being too confident?

The job situation has definitely been on my mind… not consistently but enough to keep me uncertain about the future. This morning I had some honest time with God. 

Lord, I’m more fearful about this job search than I thought I would be. Is it right to want to be prepared before we move?  Or is that just me trying to justify my lack of faith… I don’t think I trust you.

This afternoon, just before three o’clock, I got a phone call from Indiana.

“Hi, this is Christina.”

“Hello Christina, this is Toni (couldn’t quite hear the last name) from Indiana School for the Blind. I’m just returning your call, is now a good time?”

Now, before you start jumping up and down, I didn’t get offered a job just like that. But please, keep reading. It’s a cool story.

Toni and I talked for about 10 minutes. Her voice was kind and she seemed genuinely interested in my situation.

“So why the heck would you want to move from Florida to Indiana?!”

I explained, “My fiancĂ© lives in Indianapolis. We were really considering either place, but it seems like he has some pretty cool opportunities in Indiana. So I’m thinking I’ll probably move there in July.”

Although there weren’t any current job openings, Toni invited me to send my resume so they would have it on file should something open up.  She also mentioned that a lot of the staff start out in part time positons and then apply for other jobs as they open up. Definitely sounded like some feasible options. Instead of a no, it sounded more like a not yet.

As we wrapped up our conversation, Toni told me that I could send her an email if I ever wanted to tour the school when I was in the area.

“My name is Toni Hughes.”

“Did you say your last name is Hughes.”

“Yes, H-U-G-H-E-S.”

“ No way, that’s soon to be my last name too!”


God is writing our story. Sometimes sentences at a time, other times paragraphs, and still other times only letter by letter. But his timing and his thoughtful detail always out-do my own vain attempts. Praise God that he is the author and finisher.



No comments:

Post a Comment