Saturday, January 7, 2017

I love the thought of being (H)is

I love the thought of being (H)is.

As I’ve returned to a life without Hunter (physically present, that is) I’ve noticed something. I get excited to show off my engagement ring. This isn’t out of wanting to be “flashy” or show off “status” (I still can’t believe I’m wearing something that costs the equivalent of hundreds of subway sandwiches on my hand without a body guard to protect my little ring finger). I get excited to show off my engagement ring because it’s me saying to the world “Look, I’m taken! Don’t even think about it, I am committed to a man who I love deeply and who loves and cherishes me.”

I get excited to pay for groceries at Publix and hand my debit card to the cashier…
I get excited to hold and sip out of my coffee cup at the blind tiger as I’m writing this…
I get excited to type boring emails…
I get excited to read braille with my students...
I get excited to hold my pencil, or silverware, or anything! (It’s not so bad being left-handed afterall)

As I think of why I’m so excited to show the world that soon I get to be Hunter’s, it brings up a thought that I hadn’t considered until just now.

I can let this excitement point to another sweet kind of belonging. I am God’s. No, I don’t have a ring to show it. But I get something better; I get his Spirit inside of me. And here’s the cool part, while this diamond on my finger is shiny and brilliant, God’s Holy Spirit living in me shines even more brilliantly. No, I don’t have a physical outward sign of belonging to Christ, but I have this insanely powerful inward transformation, which in turn affects everything else about me, even my outward appearance. 

When I pay for my groceries, I don’t get to show off the ring on my finger. Instead, I get to show off how God has changed me! I can genuinely ask about their life and care for them during our brief interaction.  

It’s the same with any of these scenarios that I mentioned above. I get to be a living sacrament that points people to God. I get to walk around confidently and excitedly, knowing that I am His. I get to live loved and show others where to run to so they can find deep satisfaction and belonging. 

Praise God I have something so joyful to make even the most common-place activities filled with the excitement of telling others “Come and See.”


No comments:

Post a Comment