Saturday, April 18, 2015

Psalm 118

Psalm 118

“Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.”

This verse seems so simple and straightforward, but I think it’s one of the most difficult for me to truly understand. It reminds me to give thanks, remember that God is good, and that his love is unfailing. It reminds me that God has not made a mistake, does not need reprimanding, and has not allowed me to lose a battle. Instead, it breathes hope and allows for trust.

To me, this verse means trusting God in the middle of sorrow and believing that he is still worthy to be praised. It does not necessarily mean that my sorrow will be lifted, but I’m beginning to understand that it’s okay. I’m coming to a place where I feel defenseless but I find freedom knowing that my life is not my own.

God is reminding me that I have a lot to give thanks for, that he is my good Father, and that he has not forgotten me.  And God is teaching me how to quietly and beautifully bear my sorrow through his grace and power… Because my sorrow means that God will be near, and I desire his presence more than a life of contentment without his presence.

 “So what if sorrow shakes my faith,
And what if heartache still remains?
I'll trust you, my god I'll trust you.
'Cause You are faithful 

You lift me up, you'll never leave me thirsty,
When I am weak, when I am lost and searching
Find you on my knees, my knees.

When my hope is gone,
When the fear is strong
When the pain is real,
When it's hard to heal
When my faith is shaken
And my heart is broken
And my joy is stolen,
God I know that...”

No comments:

Post a Comment