Friday, February 19, 2016

Leviticus 16


This morning I was reading through Leviticus 16 and it made me think of a comment a friend said the other night at community group. She shared how hard it is for her not to rely on our works to make us righteous. I feel that! But check it out. So God has established the basis for relationship with Himself, which is by the shedding of blood. Hebrews 9:22 says “For without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sins.” So it is only through blood that atonement is made.

The chapter I read today specifically deals with Yom Kippur. I never knew this before but on this day Jewish people hope that their good works outweigh the bad. (You can definitely fact check that, but that’s the idea I was getting from it). A commentary I was reading says “If God could only be approached through blood sacrifices, how do Jews think they can approach Him with their own works, which God declares as “filthy rags in the sight of God.”

So it only makes sense that Jesus is the answer. I know you probs already know this, but it was such a good reminder to me that my own standard of a “good work” doesn’t even come close to making things right with God.

The only things I’ve ever heard about Leviticus are basically how hard and boring it is to read. I have been so pleasantly surprised by how much I am enjoying it.  It is making me realize how holy God is and I always walk away from the reading being more thankful for Jesus. It also making me realize how costly our sin is, not just in terms of separation from God, but how much atoning these people had to do. (I don't think I would've had enough doves, bulls, or rams to sacrifice if I lived back then…)

The one word that keeps summing things up for me as a study God’s word in Leviticus is ‘Holiness’. It all comes back to the problem of sin. That God is holy, we are not, and we can’t be in relationship with Him. God makes a temporary fix for the people, but it is highly specific and difficult to keep up with. Through the High Priest, the people of Israel are able to make a temporary covering for their sin by following the law, but it just isn’t sustainable. Eventually, they sin again and have to repeat the whole process again.

I am thankful that all of these regulations in the Old Testament point to the hope we have now because of Jesus.

“Where, O death, is your victory?
    Where, O death, is your sting?”
56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
58 Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
1 Corinthians 15: 55-58

Thank you, God, for making a way for sinners to be near to you again. When I read the Old Testament I am reminded just how serious my sin is but at the same time of just how great your desire for us to know you is. Help me to trust in Christ alone for my salvation and not in any of my own attempts at righteousness. Thank you for loving me first!

No comments:

Post a Comment