Sunday, December 23, 2012

Then, Come Follow Me!

         I was talking to a friend today about Christmas-time and presents today and the frustration in me just came out... why do we put so much worth in the things that don't matter?! The things that I'm referring to are that name brand shirt, or that 57th pair of shoes, or that newest version of a video game because the first 3 editions are outdated. I sound psychotic but when I think of this mad world around me and everyone around me constantly "needing" more, I can't help but wonder am I mad or are they?

       As I sat in the car at the mall today 3 days before Christmas and watched the chaos around me, people yelling, horns being honked, cars cutting each other off for parking spots, I couldn't help but feel a deep saddness. As gifts were being bought, the greatest gift of all was being forgotten. It was as if God's gift was not sufficient enough. How could these people be happy? How could they sing of it being the most wonderful time of the year when they were leaving out the best part! They're searching high and low for that "perfect" gift, that great deal, the best bargain, but the most PERFECT gift of all is right in front of them and costs NOTHING and they're just passing it up!!!

        No matter how hard we try to please everyone and fulfill all of these Christmas wishlists, someone always walks away sad or unfulfilled because the world doesn't satisfy! This world cannot, does not, and will not EVER satisfy. Have you ever been unhappy and thought that if you just get the one thing, it will solve the problem? Have you ever realized that time and time again you were wrong? I fall victim to this trap that the world offers way too often. I think that if I just get that t-shirt or that sweater that it will somehow feel this void that I have deep inside of me. But once I get it, I walk away feeling unchanged. My problem is that I'm putting my hope in a t-shirt to solve my problems instead of my savior!!! There is a very clear difference between the two. When I think of all that Jesus has to offer and all that He has gone through for my sin, how could I not choose him? Lord, help me overcome these worldy desires!

       This break, the verse that has continously stuck with me is “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5) Jesus constantly warns of how hard it is to enter the kingdom of heaven if you are rich, and lately this is beginning to make more and more sense to me. I used to always think, times aren't the same as they were back then. I'm sure that passage doesn't apply as much but it couldn't be more true. When I think of the meek that Jesus was talking about, I think of how much they have to rely on God to provide and how much of a presence He is in their life. Those who have a little in todays society end up having so much more spiritually and those who are "physically" rich are so spiritually poor and lacking heavenly riches. I think of the verse in Matthew 6:24 when Jesus says “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." Money is something that man created, it is of the world. God is not created. He always was and always will be! He existed before creation! He existed before time! He is infinite! When I think of this verse I think of how you can't have a divided heart between the two... either your heart is surrendered to man and the world, or your heart is wholly surrendered to God and His infinince. There is no way to have them both because they are both such opposites and like the verse says they are impossible to balance.

“But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort." Luke 6:24

        I'd rather be poor in this life and rich in the next life any day! This life is gone in the blink of an eye so why waste it storing up all of these riches when all they do is waste away and waste your time? Instead, I'll fix my eyes on eternity and what is to come and the promises we have in Christ!

         When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Luke 18:22
AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment