Tuesday, July 17, 2012

God's Divine Sovereignty

        We often hear the phrase used "God is sovereign" and I find myself constantly saying it but having such a hard time believing it. God I know you're sovereign over my life, but I still want to do things my way. Truly believing God is sovereign is believing in His plans for you and forfeiting all of the plans you have for yourself. Its knowing that He will work all things out for your good although you might be having a hard time seeing it at the time. As I listened to David Platt's sermon tonight about the Divine Sovereignty of God, my beliefs about it were really challenged. I was forced to ask myself, do I really believe God's plans for my life are better than my own? And I find myself saying well of course they are! He's God and He knows everything... but then why do I continue to do things my way? Do you see what I mean.. if God is truly sovereign over your life He is in control of it ALL, not just what you pick and choose. But as much as we want to believe we might have just a little bit of control, the truth is, we don't. When we say God is sovereign over everything, it means EVERYTHING.

Revelation 4:11, “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”

       The key words there are "by your will": everything exists because God lets it! Satan is powerful because God allows it! People have free will because God lets us! Nothing is done outside of God's power because there is no power other than God's.

As David puts it:

    "Our sovereign God holds the destiny of the world in the palm of his hand. The palm of his hand contains God’s sovereign decrees for the final glorification of all believers and damnation of all unbelievers. It is all in the palm of his hand. Nature, the sun, the stars—he is sovereign over all. There is NOT a speck of dust that exists apart from the sovereignty of God. Our God charts the course of countries. He holds rulers in the palm of his hand. Our God is sovereign over every single world leader—over you, me, the president, everyone.
He creates all things, knows all things, has authority over all things. He has all the rights! Christian, you have no rights. God alone has all rights. He has the right to save sinners and he has the right to damn sinners.
What about human responsibility? Man makes decisions, but God is sovereign over them."

        God knows every decision before you make it, He knows every sin you will commit before you commit it, and He knows every thought you will ever think before you've even thought it. There is none more powerful than our God. But with all of this power is a God more merciful than you could ever imagine. A God waiting to forgive you for those sins you commit and a loving father waiting to embrace his child -you! There is no one like our God! He is sovereign and He is worthy of all praise.
    Lord I pray that these words would glorify your name and for those who are led here to know your life changing love. I ask this humbly in your name Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment