Friday, May 29, 2015

5/29/15

“We love because he first loved us”

God gives us the capacity to love people, and to love them well.

My definition of a day well spent is sharing my soul with others and getting a glimpse of theirs. It’s risky, it’s vulnerable, it’s time-consuming, it’s tiring, and it’s only possible because of the gospel. The lord gives us the only thing worthwhile to talk about through the death of his son. God is the author of creation and the reason for conversation.

“The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.” Psalm 28:7

What better song to sing than one that rises up to the writer of all songs? How unthinkable is it that a sound from unclean lips could reach the ears of a holy God, that a sinner would even have the capacity to mutter words of any significance to God most high? 

I am learning more what it means for the lord to be my reason for joy. Sometimes it seems like there’s not much to rejoice about. I can get stuck drawing upon uncertainties and worries as my source of life instead of drinking from the well that does not run dry. Life can be overwhelming, but so can the joy that contentment in the Lord brings.


One of my favorite lines from a song says “The art of losing myself in bringing you praise.” As I went through my day, watching it twist and turn and go in directions completely different than I intended, I was reminded that it’s okay, and even better, for my own goals and plans and ambitions to get lost for the sake of God’s glory. It’s better for my plans to be overridden by praise.


No comments:

Post a Comment